Friday, December 21, 2007

God's Gift



I love to wake up to this. Hoarfrost. I am awestruck at the sight. Everything about hoarfrost intrigues me, even the name.

It also makes an interesting science lesson. With hoarfrost clinging to every surface in sight, it's a great time to discuss the many different types of frost and the different weather conditions for each type to form. This will usually lead us to a discussion about how amazing God is. For these reasons, I am thankful we homeschool.





Other than loving the first snowfall of the year, I am not really a winter person. Sometimes I go days before going outside. I don't like to be cold. The sound of snow crunching under my feet ranks right up with the sound of fingernails on a blackboard. The old snow on the ground gets dirty and the outdoors looks downright dreary.




But when I wake up and see this, I forget all the reasons I dislike winter. I change my tune, and am happy I live in a place where I can see things such as this.

I think hoarfrost is my own personal gift from God. He knows how much I hate the cold, dreary days of winter.

So, he gives me something a little special. To let me know I am special to Him. To make me happy. To hear me rejoice in His creation!







Isn't it beautiful?

Isn't He wonderful?

Thank you, Lord!



You know just what I need.




7 comments:

  1. Oh my!! I totally know what you are saying!! (Can you tell I am a girl raised in the 80s? Like, totally!)

    I, too, can't stand winter. Snow -- who needs it? Give me palm trees, sand, and salt water waves. BUT... That beautiful frost makes winter much more tolerable!! What an amazing site the Lord provides!!

    I wanted to take pictures of the frost here, but my camera was in the car and I didn't want to brave the cold. I prefer to view the beauty from inside. *wink*

    Have a blessed and Merry Christmas, Michelle!!
    Blessings, Beckie :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle


    I have never heard of hoarfrost...I will have to go do some research as now you have my curiousity...I thought frost was uh, frost ;-)

    so much to learn, so little time!

    Kimmie
    mama to 6
    one homemade and 5 adopted

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pictures are beautifull. I so wish we lived somewhere it snowed. I am really jealous.

    Merry Christmas,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What pretty pictures Michelle. It was a beautiful gift for sure.

    I, unlike you and Beckie, LOVE WINTER!!!!!!!

    Theresa
    http://www.treasureinearthenvessels.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could have written your exact feelings about winter, from start to finish, Michelle. I think I would like it better if it was a shorter season, and the others were longer. But it was a beautiful sight that morning-I told my sisters about it on the phone for days. You got it much heavier out there in the country-thanks for the photos. They are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful pictures! I walked around our yard taking pictures like these over Christmas. BEAUTIFUL!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you have to say.