Thursday, August 23, 2007

Cake Man

Jester is the cake baker in the family. He started by baking my birthday cakes for the past three years. (Plain angel food, no frosting, from a two-step box mix...as per my request.) His sisters caught on to the special treatment I was receiving. This year they both wanted him, and only him to bake their birthday cakes.

While decorating their cakes, he was frustrated because he didn't really know what he was doing. The girls were impressed, but I thought it would be cool if he could REALLY decorate a cake so I signed him up for a cake decorating class. He was not happy and complained that he would be the only guy in a class full of old ladies.

At the end of his first class he told me there were quite a few old ladies, most of them were probably in their thirties, but to his surprise there was another young man in the class...a drummer in a band. The other dude had a mohawk, multiple facial piercings, and numerous tattoos. With such a cool guy in class with Jester, cake decorating no longer seemed so bad.

Tonight was his third class of level one. Here is what he produced:


He was grinning from ear to ear when I picked him up from class. He only has one week left to go and told me tonight he wants to sign up for level two and eventually take all four courses.

By the way, he has to make his own icing and cakes for class. I am a mean mom and won't let him use a box mix for his cake. He has had a lot of flops, but the recipe he used for this cake is a winner. Anyone for a little cake?

8 comments:

  1. Those clowns are SO cute! The whole cake looks delicious! Impressive, Jester. Would you consider baking a cake for my birthday in December?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Godmother,
    Jester says he might consider it. He's got a lot of orders coming in. He's a pretty popular cake decorator now. He He!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Send him on over - that's a cute cake! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle...that is so COOL! He does a great job. It's fun to watch our kids find a passion...and by the looks of it he found one of his! Great job Jester!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That is the cutest cake ever!!

    Great to "see" you here, Michelle. Yes, it is me - bloggy quitter Beckie. I decided to start up again when we started school. Now the challenge is to use my time wisely and not go from blog to blog to blog to blog... to just visit a few friends and walk away. *wink*

    See you soon!!
    Blessings, Beckie :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cake is WONDERFUL! Very impressive. I bet he was really proud of it...I would be too :)!

    (I found your blog over at Frazzled Farm Wife's blog..hope you don't mind that I stopped by)!

    Have a great day!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow Michelle! Tell him I will over look the "Old" comment because that cake looks awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! I had a cake like that for my ninth birthday...many moons ago!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you have to say.